CALL TO ORDER:
PINE/STRAWBERRY FUEL REDUCTION, INC. BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 10, 2015
Vice-President Mike Brandt called the Board only meeting to order at 6:00 P.M. The meeting was held at the Pine Senior Center Dining Room
Mike led the Pledge of Allegiance
Members Present: Mike Brandt (Vice President), Jack Malloy (Secretary), Janet Brandt, Katie Calderon, Ron Calderon,
Members Absent: Melvin Palmer (President), Darwin Huber (Treasurer)
ITEMS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION:
2016 Brush Pick Up: After much discussion, the following is recommended before a 2016 Brush Pick Up is announced:
1. Above the $63,000 anticipated needed to run the 2016 program using the 2015 data as a guide, an additional $20,000 must be collected to cover unexpected costs such as equipment needs, more brush than 2015, etc.
2. As noted in the November 7th community meeting, P/SFR can’t take the financial risk and commit to a 2016 brush pick up without sufficient funding. Therefore, the total $83,000 must be in hand before a 2016 brush pick up is announced.
3. Starting a 2016 brush pick up the first of June, after the Memorial Day weekend, mailing a flyer out 4 weeks in advance to give residents time to begin thinning and needing 2 weeks to ready the flyer, the date the $83,000 must be in P/SFR’s hand is April 15, 2016.
4. Should all of the above be able to be met by the deadline date, it is still contingent on the availability of the Pine- Strawberry Fire Department’s equipment and the hiring of personnel to operate the equipment.
5. Should the above not be met by the deadline date, there will be an alternative fuel reduction project(s) that the collected funds can be used for.
6. Fundraisers and mailers to raise money specifically for the 2016 Brush Pick Up will also note that if not enough money is raised by April 15, the money donated will go to other fuel reducing project(s). We will list those projects. That way we will not have to return money donated through the mailers or PayPal.
7. Mailers or email blasts that ask for donations to the 2016 Brush Pick Up will first need to be OK’d by the Board.
It was also recommended that Darwin coordinate the fundraising activities for P/SFR’s 2016 fuel reduction projects.
FireOnTheRim and P/SFR Websites: Mike recommended that we check with Alan Levine regarding his fee for upgrading the two websites and training those in charge with operating the websites.
Mike also suggested that we ask Alan how we can get our websites to come up when Pine and/or Strawberry Trails is typed into the search bar.
The Board agreed to have Mike look into this.
New Trails Project: Mike informed of the need to upgrade the part of the Pine Canyon Trail from roughly Dripping Springs to the intersection of the Bearfoot Trail. He recommended using $35,000 of the funds allocated to the trails so hire the A.C.E. (American Conservation Experience) crew to do the work.
Katie so moved. Janet seconded.
Other Ideas: A few ideas were bounced around for other activities. One that caught the attention of the Board was an Idea Katie had about having a firewise day at the Ramada. Details will be discussed at future meetings.
SET DATE, TIME, PLACE OF NEXT BOARD ONLY MEETING:
Monday, November 30, 2015; 6:00 PM; Pine Senior Dining Room.
Ron moved to adjourn. Janet seconded.
Meeting adjourned at 7:25 P.M.
Respectfully submitted by Jack Malloy, P/SFR Secretary