What better treat before your hike than to visit our Firewise Garden at the Pine Trailhead and combine your hike with a bit of learning?
The Pine Firewise Garden was designed by local Master Gardener Bill Hubbs with assistance from the University Of Arizona Cooperative Extension. This beautiful garden offers real-life information about Firewise landscapes in our area. It illustrates fire resistant landscaping principles and practices that allow residents of the wildland-urban interface areas to live in harmony with the nature around them being more aware of and preventing wildfire.
Specimens in the Firewise Garden include:
- Soapweed Yucca Yucca glauca
- Arizona Cypress Cupressus arizonica
- Spanish Broom Genista Lydia
- Desert Willow Chilopsis linearis
- Perry Agave Agave parryi
- Apache Plume Fallugia paradoxa
- Red Yucca Hesperaloe parviflora
- Prickly Pear Cactus Opuntia basilaris
Look for the garden in the center of the parking lot at Pine Trailhead and take some time to see how your landscaping choices can make a difference.