PINE/STRAWBERRY FUEL REDUCTION, INC.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
WEDNESDAY, MAY 31, 2017
CALL TO ORDER: Vice President Melvin Palmer called the meeting to order at 6:00 P.M. The meeting was held at the Pine Senior Center Dining Room, Mel led the Pledge of Allegiance
MEMBERS PRESENT: Melvin Palmer (Vice-President), Jack Malloy (Secretary), Nancy Hubbs (Treasurer), Katie Calderon, Ron Calderon, Mike Brandt (President) and Janet Brandt via phone
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES:
Ron moved to approve the minutes of the May 3, 2017 meeting as presented. Nancy seconded.
- Fuel Reduction Beginning Balance as of May 1, 2017 $59,945.39, Deposits $2,002.26 (donation, AMEX, PayPal, Firewise Day, Expenses $2,079.46 (phone, FW Day, Dedication, PA equipment, trailer at festival, brush pit), Ending Balance as of May 25, 2017 $59,868.19; High Yield Account $20,891.09; Total $80,759.28
- Fire On The Rim as of May 1, 2017 Beginning Balance $52,545.01, Expenses $17,850.00 (YRU, IMBA Membership), Ending Balances of May 25, 2017 $34,695.01; 51 Shares of United Technologies Stocks $6,213.84(earmarked to Fuel Reduction)
Nancy Reported the Pine Strawberry handout with all of the P/SFR dates on the back was free advertisement. She also reported a donation of $200 from SCAFF honoring Walt Smith. Also, a donation was received of 100 more shares of UTX stock designated to Fuel Reduction.
- Firewise Day Report: Katie thanked all those who worked so hard to pull this year’s FW Day together. She reported that she has received very positive feedback and Rochelle is working on the thank-you pictures. The Smith family was very appreciative of the dedication to Walt and Willene. There will be a wrap-up meeting June 7, 3 PM at Katie’s house. Mel thanked Sara for the speakers she was able to obtain. It was estimated that the raffle and other things generated $1,400. Duane spoke to the property P/SFR will donate 2 hours of firewising labor. Katie asked Chief Morris and he agreed to have a fire personnel on hand to make suggestions on firewise treatments at the property.
Chief Morris introduced Kara Holt who spoke about coordinating the contractors for firewising properties, possibly getting them to work together.
- DRTP Grant Update: Janet reported that the funds finally came through and P/SFR has the order to proceed. A Grant Janet had written to Walmart came through for $2,500 for the bike race.
- Trails Stewardship Program: Mike reported that this is an idea to divide up sections of the trails and assign different groups to those sections to do maintenance. Mike is working with Arizona Trails and the Forest Service in developing this idea. Scott noted that on the Arizona Trails website one can link to information regarding stewardships.
- Bike Race Meeting Date/Time: Mike said he will pull together that committee meeting with those involved.
- Firewise Signs: Jack showed a copy of the current firewise signs and an example of what new signs may look like. He is getting ideas for firewise tips for the new signs.
- Firewise Day Suggestions: Chief Morris suggested delaying lectures till noon and allow 30 minutes per lecture cycle. Katie recommended using fewer speakers. Mel said the outside P.A. system needed to be louder and suggested a bullhorn may be the answer.
SET DATE, TIME, PLACE OF NEXT P/SFR, INC. MEETING:
Wednesday, June 28, 2017; 6 PM.; Pine Senior Dining Room. All meetings are set for the last Wednesday of each month.
Katie moved to adjourn. Mike seconded.
Meeting adjourned at 6:30 P.M.
Respectfully submitted by Jack Malloy, P/SFR Secretary
Download 2017 May 31 Meeting Notes (PDF)