The 9 mile race follows the same course as the 2019 race that we called 8.6 miles. After receiving input as to course distance from a few of the 2019 racers with GPS devices, which varied by over a half mile, we decided to call the race a 9 miler. The GPS route presented below shows the route to be about 8.7 miles, which we believe is a little short.
All 9 mile runners will receive a swag bag with goodies, a technical running shirt or running cap, and a burrito breakfast. The breakfast will be served from 8:00 AM until about 10:30 AM by the Mountain Village Foundation, a local Pine non-profit.
The race starts at the end of Camp Lomia deep in the Pine Canyon. The course leaves the camp on a dual track trail for about .15 miles to the junction with the Pine Canyon trail, which allows racers to jostle into single file. It then follows the Pine Canyon trail about 6.5 miles through various forest flora and soil conditions until it reaches the Pineview trail junction. The course then makes a sharp left turn onto the Pineview trail. It continues on the Pineview about 1.3 miles to the Highline trail, then down the Highline about 1 mile to the finish line at the Pine Trailhead.
You will start at Camp Lomia at 5750 feet elevation and climb at an almost constant ascent to 6190 feet in 1.4 miles (6% grade), then descend 150 feet in the next half mile (-6% grade). You will then ascend the next 1.3 miles to the course peak of 6325 feet. You then do a steep descent that quickly becomes gradual for 1.3 miles to 6190 feet. A steeper descent, passing the Goodenough trail junction aid station (liquid refreshments) will take you to about the 6.6 mile mark and 5525 feet (-6.3% grade). This brings you to the Pineview trail junction and the 2nd aid station (liquid refreshments). Turning onto the Pineview trail, you will ascend to 5800 feet in 1 mile (5% grade), where you will be afforded beautiful views of the valley and surrounding forest. Descending the next .4 miles you will reach the Highline trail junction at a beautiful shaded area next to a creek. You will continue your descent on the Highline trail 1 mile to the Pine Trailhead finish at 5380 feet.
The free parking is located off Hwy 87 about a half mile south of the Pine trailhead (.1 mile north of mile marker 266 – look for the event signs). All runners will be bused from the parking area to the starting line. Please do not try to park at the Pine Trailhead.
There will be a gear drop at the starting line (use your swag bag, it will have a tag with your bib number attached). Your drop bag will be transported to the Pine Trailhead finish area.
- Friday May 6th
- 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Late registration & packet pickup, Ponderosa Market, Pine (Hwy 87 & Hardscrabble Mesa Rd.)
- Race Day – Saturday, May 7th
- 5:30 AM – 7:00 AM: Parking, late registration & packet pickup, parking area (Hwy 87, just N. of mile marker 266 – watch for event signs)
- 6:45 AM: Mandatory prerace brief, near registration at parking area
- 7:00 AM: Start loading buses
- 7:40 AM: First wave start, Camp Lomia
- 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM: Bus transportation available between parking area & Pine Trailhead
- 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM: Burrito breakfast
- 9:30 AM: 9 mile award presentation, Pine Trailhead
- Medals for all finishers
- Medals for top 3 finishers in each 10 year age group
- Plaques for top 3 female and male overall finishers
- Plaque for top overall age-graded winner
Participation in the Pine Trail Run 9 Miler is open to runners twelve years of age and older and is limited to 150 runners. All participants must cross the finish line in 3.5 hours.
- Register by December 31, 2021: $55
- Register by February 28, 2022: $60
- Register by April 23, 2022: $65
- Register onsite May 6th & May 7th: $70
Online registration closes April 23, 2022. In addition to the fees shown there is a $5 processing fee.