All 5K runners will receive a technical running shirt or running cap and a burrito breakfast. The breakfast will be served from 8:00 AM until about 10:30 AM by the Mountain Village Foundation, a local Pine non-profit. In addition, during online registration only, you will be able to purchase discounted vouchers for $15 (regularly $25) for the Friday community spaghetti dinner. See the Event Details page for more information.
The 5K race starts at and ends at the Pine Trailhead, proceeding in a counter-clockwise loop.
After a short lead-in to allow runners to jostle into single-file, the course passes through the Arizona Trail Association gate onto the single track Highline trail. It follows the Highline for about 1 mile to a beautiful shaded area next to a creek. The course then follows the Pineview trail counter-clockwise to the Pine Canyon trail junction, which is about 2.3 miles from the start. There will be an aid station with liquid refreshments at this junction. The course follows the Pine Canyon trail back towards the Pine Trailhead, joining the Highline trail for the final .2 mile descent to the finish line.
The course starts at 5380 feet elevation and climbs almost continuously to 5800 feet to the course peak at 1.37 miles (6% average grade). You will be on the Pineview trail and afforded beautiful views of the valley and surrounding forest. Then it descends for the next 1.2 miles to 5480 feet (-5% average grade). At this point you will be at the bottom of a small canyon on the Pine Canyon trail. Next is the final ascent about 50 feet on some switchbacks for about .25 miles before descending the final .4 miles back to the Pine Trailhead.
Free parking is off Hwy 87, about a half mile south of the Pine Trailhead (0.1 miles north of mile marker 266 – look for the event signs.) All runners will be bused from the parking area to the Pine Trailhead. Please do not try to park at the Pine Trailhead. There will be a gear drop at the starting line. Attach to your bag the tag with your bib number on it that you will receive when you check-in. There will also be bags available at the registration desk.
After you finish, there will be transportation available to take you to our barn, where the burrito breakfast will be served and awards will be presented.
- Friday May 5th
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Late registration & packet pickup, PSFR Barn, Pine (3180 N. Old County Rd. in Pine – see barn icon on map above)
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Community spaghetti dinner, PSFR Barn
- Race Day – Saturday, May 6th
- 5:30 AM – 7:00 AM: Parking, late registration & packet pickup, parking area (Hwy 87, just N. of mile marker 266 – watch for event signs)
- 6:45 AM: Mandatory prerace brief, near registration at parking area
- 7:00 AM: Start loading buses
- 7:30 AM: First wave start, Pine Trailhead
- 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM: Bus transportation available between parking area, the barn & Pine Trailhead
- 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM: Burrito breakfast
- 9:00 AM: 5K award presentation & door prize drawing, the barn
- Medals for all finishers
- Medals for top finisher in each 10 year age group
- Plaque for top female and male overall finishers
- Plaque for top overall age-graded winner
- Door prize drawings for various items, including items handcrafted by our volunteers. Your bib is your entry number. Must be present to win.
Participation in the Pine Trail Run 5K is open to runners twelve years of age and older. The 5K race will have a 75 runner limit. All participants must cross the finish line in 3.5 hours.
- Register by April 23, 2023: $60
- Register onsite Friday, May 5 & Saturday, May 6: $65
Online registration closes April 23, 2023. You must register online to be guaranteed a shirt or technical running cap.