All 5K runners will receive a swag bag with goodies, a technical running shirt or running cap, and a burrito breakfast. The breakfast will be served from 8:00 AM until about 10:30 AM by the Mountain Village Foundation, a local Pine non-profit.
The 5K race starts at and ends at the Pine Trailhead, proceeding in a counter-clockwise loop.
After a short lead-in to allow runners to jostle into single-file, the course passes through the Arizona Trail Association gate onto the single track Highline trail. It follows the Highline for about 1 mile to a beautiful shaded area next to a creek. The course then follows the Pineview trail counter-clockwise to the Pine Canyon trail junction, which is about 2.3 miles from the start. There will be an aid station with liquid refreshments at this junction. The course follows the Pine Canyon trail back towards the Pine Trailhead, joining the Highline trail for the final .2 mile descent to the finish line.
The course starts at 5380 feet elevation and climbs almost continuously to 5800 feet to the course peak at 1.37 miles (6% average grade). You will be on the Pineview trail and afforded beautiful views of the valley and surrounding forest. Then it descends for the next 1.2 miles to 5480 feet (-5% average grade). At this point you will be at the bottom of a small canyon on the Pine Canyon trail. Next is the final ascent about 50 feet on some switchbacks for about .25 miles before descending the final .4 miles back to the Pine Trailhead.
Free parking is off Hwy 87, about a half mile south of the Pine Trailhead (0.1 miles north of mile marker 266 – look for the event signs.) All runners will be bused from the parking area to the Pine Trailhead. Please do not try to park at the Pine Trailhead. There will be a gear drop at the starting line (use your swag bag; it will have tag with your bib number attached).
- Friday May 6th
- 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Late registration & packet pickup, Ponderosa Market, Pine (Hwy 87 & Hardscrabble Mesa Rd.)
- Race Day – Saturday, May 7th
- 5:30 AM – 7:00 AM: Parking, late registration & packet pickup, parking area (Hwy 87, just N. of mile marker 266 – watch for event signs)
- 6:45 AM: Mandatory prerace brief, near registration at parking area
- 7:00 AM: Start loading buses
- 7:30 AM: First wave start, Pine Trailhead
- 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM: Bus transportation available between parking area & Pine Trailhead
- 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM: Burrito breakfast
- 9:00 AM: 5K award presentation, Pine Trailhead
- Medals for all finishers
- Medals for top finisher in each 10 year age group
- Plaque for top female and male overall finishers
- Plaque for top overall age-graded winner
Participation in the Pine Trail Run 5K is open to runners twelve years of age and older. The 5K race will have a 75 runner limit. All participants must cross the finish line in 3.5 hours.
- Register by December 31, 2021: $40
- Register by April 23, 2022: $45
- Register onsite Friday, May 6 & Saturday, May 7: $50
Online registration closes April 23, 2022. In addition to the fees shown there is a $5 processing fee.