When: Saturday, May 19, 2018, from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Where: Pine Community Center, 3886 N. Highway 87, Pine, AZ
The Pine Strawberry Fuel Reduction Committee and the Pine Strawberry Fire District will present Firewise Day on May 19 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Pine Community Center. Given that we are facing some of the worst conditions in 50 years ⎯⎯ which could result in devastating wildfires ⎯⎯ this is a must-attend event.
PSFR’s Firewise Day will feature educational presentations and displays, as well as practical tips to help property owners and visitors reduce the risk of fire devastating our communities.
Those attending can:
- Learn the basics of Ready, Set, Go – This program helps residents be Ready with preparedness understanding, be Set with situational awareness when fire threatens, and Go when necessary, acting early when a fire starts.
- Hear the latest on the current fire situation and outlook this year from Pine Strawberry Fire District Chief Gary Morris.
- Take home tips to protect your property before fire threatens It’s the little things that will burn your house down when embers from a nearby wildfire carry on the wind. Understand what you can do to remove sources of combustion, like dried grasses, pine needles and pine cones under the deck or in your gutters, natural fiber door mats, and dried twigs and brush under trees that will ignite and spread upward.
A fun event to educate on a serious subject
The family-oriented event will also feature fun activities for kids and adults. A few of the event participants will include:
- The Gila County Sheriff’s Office, which plans to demonstrate its K-9 capabilities.
- Tonto Rim Search & Rescue, which will demonstrate the drone they use in their search and rescue efforts.
- Two wildlife rescue organizations that will introduce us to some of our wild neighbors ⏤ Fallen Feathers, which bring wild birds such as an owl and Harris hawk, and Phoenix Herpetological Society, which will have reptiles like snakes and lizards (some of which the public can interact with).
- The Pine Strawberry Fire Department Clowns, who entertain and teach children about fire safety through games and interaction. Kids can also check out a fire truck and meet the firefighters who keep us safe (if not on a call).
- Pine Strawberry Fuel Reduction, which will have educational information, including materials for kids, and displays in their Firewise trailer.
Get a FREE BBQ lunch, courtesy of Pine resident and Farm Bureau Financial Services agent Duane Ridl.
Enter to win 5 free hours of firewising on your property
Bring 5 non-perishable food items or $5 to benefit the Pine Strawberry Food Bank and be entered in a raffle to win 5 free hours of firewise thinning services on your property. At least two prizes will be awarded. The raffle is also being sponsored by Duane Ridl.
For more information on protecting your property from wildfire, go to www.firewise.org, and click on Home & Landscape on the right-hand side of the page.