Board of Directors Meeting March 28 2018

PINE/STRAWBERRY FUEL REDUCTION, INC.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2018

CALL TO ORDER:

President Mike Brandt called the meeting to order at 6:15 P.M. The meeting was held at the Pine Cultural Hall. Mike led the Pledge of Allegiance

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:    Mike Brandt (President), Melvin Palmer (Vice-President), Jack Malloy (Secretary), Nancy Hubbs (Treasurer), Janet Brandt, Katie Calderon, Ron Calderon,

MEMBERS ABSENT:         None

APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES: 

Jack moved to approve the minutes of the 2.15.18 Executive meeting, 2.21.18 Executive meeting, 1.24.18 Board meeting and 3.11-12.18 Email vote as presented. Janet seconded.

Motion Passed. 

TREASURER’S REPORT:

Nancy presented the Treasurer’s Report.

  • Fuel Reduction Account: Beginning 2.1.18 balance of $48,947.08, Deposit $4,016.16 (PayPal Trail Race Entries, AMEX), Expenses $$14,968.65 (phone, signs, brush pit), Ending balance as of 3.23.18 $38,021.49;
  • Fire On The Rim Account: Beginning 2.1.18 balance of $61,068.99, Deposits $0, Expenses $1,980.98 (race timing, race brochures), Ending Balance as of 3.23.18 $$59,088.01;
  • Edward Jones: Ending 2.23.18 Advisory Solution Account $26,425.96, Corporate Account $33,609.10

Janet moved to accept Treasurer’s Report as presented. Katie seconded.

Motion Passed.

BILLS/CORRESONDENCE:

Nancy reported a donation of $50 and she sent a thank you.

 

ATTENDEE QUESTION AND ANSWER

One attendee was concerned what P/SFR is doing with information to residents on how to protect our communities from the threat of wildfires. Katie described the upcoming FireWise day and all the activities that will relate to wildfire prevention. Mike spoke on the activities P/SFR has done in the past including the fuel break that surrounds both Pine and Strawberry.

A second attendee was concerned with who a liaison was to deal with the current condition of the forest, also the termination of the brush pick up program and thirdly how to work with P/SFR to brainstorm ideas that could lead to helping residents more easily be able to get rid of brush they have removed from their property. After much discussion all three concerns were answered not necessarily to the liking of the attendee.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

  • Pine Brush Pit: Mike reported the Pine Brush Pit has been greatly enlarged, provisions have been made to contain ash runoff, the road leading to the brush pit has been graded and granite added.Don Ennen who will operate the brush pit said the pit will be open Sunday’s 8-4 including this Easter Sunday, no donations will be requested at the pit, branch size rule of thumb will be if you can pick it up it will be ok and that cut rounds will be stacked for those who want them for firewood, a steel gate has been constructed at the pit entrance.
  • Blattner Brush Pit: Mike introduced Frank Aspeslagh & Joanie Price who are running the Blattner Brush Pit (located east of Star Valley) using their own funds.After much discussion Mel moved to use our 501c3 to help the Blattner Pit collect donations until they receive their own 501c3 designation. Janet seconded. 

    Motion Passed

  • Firewise Trailer: Mike said the Firewise Trailer needs a cleaning. Frank Aspeslagh volunteered to clean it on May 5th
  • Pine Trail Run Update: Scott reported there are 57 entrants. He also presented a detailed accounting of the income and cost. At present Income is $3,075, Expenses $960 for a net of $2,115. Scott estimates a final income of around $5,750 with expenses estimated to be $3,938 for an estimated net income of $1,812. (Complete report is included in the Secretary’s book)Some discussion concerned the weekend traffic into the Pine Trail Head and parking area where the finish will be. It was suggested to contact the Forest Service on ways they might be able to help with this.
  • Firewise Day Even Update: Katie reported on most of the event during the attendees’ question and answers period. In addition, she reported Fire Chief’s Morris (PSFD) and Staub (PFD) along with a representative of Tonto National Forest will be on the radio April 17th at 9am to talk about firewise and promote both Payson and Pine-Strawberry’s Firewise Days. Chief Morris will have CERT folks at the Post Office the week before the P-S Firewise Day Event to promote the event and to sign up for the Gila County emergency alert system, Everbridge.Mel showed examples of the gas chain saw and battery combo string trimmer/leaf blower that will be raffled off during the Firewise Day Event.
  • Yard Sale at the Barn: Mike reported that Larry Baker from Timeless Antiques will help price the merchandise, donated by Jerry Varney, the first of April. Barbara Mossbarger also volunteered. Janet said the Ginny Ennen would also be helping.
  • Firewise Sign Update: Jack reported the 18 new firewise signs have been up for about two weeks. 14 of them have firewise tips. He thanked all those who gave input regarding the tips. The plan is to rotate the signs, so each location has a different tip every few months.

 

ITEMS NOT ON AGENDA FOR DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE ACTION:

Sara mentioned there will be a Bark Beetle workshop on April 3 at Gila Community College from 1-4pm. Mike gave a brief tutorial on BarkBeetle affects and how to deal with them.

 

SET DATE, TIME, PLACE OF NEXT P/SFR, INC. MEETING:

Wednesday, April 25, 2018; 6pm; Pine Senior Center Dining Room. All meetings are set for the last Wednesday of each month.

ADJOURNMENT:

Ron moved to adjourn. Katie seconded.

Motion Passed.

Meeting adjourned at 7:55 P.M.

Respectfully submitted by Jack Malloy, P/SFR Secretary

Download 2018 March 28 Meeting Notes (PDF)

One thought on “Board of Directors Meeting March 28 2018

Leave a Reply