Board of Directors Meeting May 2017

PINE/STRAWBERRY FUEL REDUCTION, INC.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2017

 

CALL TO ORDER:

Vice-President Melvin Palmer called the meeting to order at 6:05 P.M.

The meeting was held at the Pine Senior Center Dining Room

Mel led the Pledge of Allegiance

MEMBERS PRESENT:  Melvin Palmer (Vice-President), Nancy Hubbs (Treasurer), Katie Calderon, Ron Calderon, Mike Brandt (President), Jack Malloy (Secretary) and Janet Brandt present via phone.

MEMBERS ABSENT:         None

APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES: 

Ron moved to approve the minutes of the March 29, 2017 meeting as presented. Katie seconded.

Motion Passed.

TREASURER’S REPORT:

Nancy presented the Treasurer’s report for April.

  • Fuel Reduction beginning balance $60,928.74. Expenses $963.35 (phone bill, annual mailbox fee, mailer, postage). Ending balance $59,965.39. High Yield account $20,891.09. Total Fuel Reduction assets $80,865.48.
  • Fire-On-The-Rim beginning balance $55,320.98. Expenses $1,590.00 (t-shirts). Ending Balance $53,730.98.
  • UTX Stock 51 shares $5,779.83.

Ron moved to accept Treasurer’s Report for the month of April. Nancy seconded.

Motion Passed.

BILLS/CORRISPONDENCE:

  • Mel presented a bill from Payson Concrete. He explained it and others later this year will be to pay for pushing brush, etc., at the Pine brush pit. An arrange was made with Gila County for P/SFR to pay Payson Concrete for the service then the County will reimburse P/SFR for the cost.
  • Mel continued to explain that the County has hired managers for the brush pit which will be open again this season on Sundays. One change is that tree services and other contractors will not be allowed to use the free pit. It will only be open to residents.
  • Nancy reported receiving a check from a resident as a donation.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

  • Fire-On-The-Rim T-Shirt and Hat Update: Katie showed the Board and those in attendance this year’s FireOnTheRim Bike Race t-shirt she will be selling at the market on weekends from Memorial Day weekend up to the race.Nancy then showed examples of the FOTR hats and the colors they will be which will also be sold at the market. See http://www.fireontherim.com/raffle/
  • Firewise Day Update: Katie reported the committee will meet May 10 at her house for one of the final meetings before the event on May 20th. Set up will be on Friday, May 19th at 2:00 pm. The Phoenix Herpetological Society will be coming with their critters for no charge. Coldwell Banker and the Senior Center will advertise the event on their marquees. Katie solicited for more volunteers to help with set-up.
  • Trails: Mike reported the volunteers have completed the reroute on the Pine-Strawberry trail and are now doing maintenance on the FOTR race course. Mike spoke with the Forest Service regarding a burn at the Pine Trailhead for recording a history of forest management. The FS agreed and will be out in August to work out a schedule.Tom Stenerson gave a PowerPoint presentation on the work being done on Trail 26 by YRU. Because money was saved on this project there will be seed money next year to work on the Goodenough trail that starts at Manzanita and goes up to the top of Milk Ranch Point. He noted that the Camp Lo Mia access point project is on hold while the administrators of the camp do more looking into the project.

    Mike reported that he will be looking into a section of the Reed property or some other property in that location to be used as a community park.

    Mike commended Tom for all the work and effort he has put into the Trail 26 project.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

  • Local Firewise Signs: Jack presented a map of where the Firewise signs are located around Pine and Strawberry. He asked the Board for help in identifying the locations of any other locations that are not indicated on the map. Next step will be to get ideas for Firewise Tips for each sign.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Non-Pine/Strawberry Box Mailer Draft: Jack presented to the Board a draft for approval of the mailer the Board agreed to send to Pine/Strawberry owners who don’t have a P/S Post Office box. The draft was exactly like the “Post Card” the Pine Fire Department sent out to all P/S Post Office box holders with one sentence addition referencing the Firewise Day Event. After much discussion, it was agreed to table the draft proposal until a committee could submit a much-reduced version.

ITEMS NOT ON AGENDA FOR DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE ACTION:

  • Walt & Willene Plaque: Mel reported that the plaque will say “In Honor of Walt & Willene Smith”. It will be hung on the second truss of the Ramada. It will be finished and be up when Willene and her family come up to attend the Firewise Day on May 20th.
  • Trail Foot Race: Scott Kehl gave an update on his plan to form a Pine-Strawberry running club and establish an annual street/trail race in conjunction with P/SFR.

 

SET DATE, TIME, PLACE OF NEXT P/SFR, INC. MEETING:

Wednesday, May 31, 2017; 6:00 pm; Senior Dining Room. All meetings are set for the last Wednesday of each month.

ADJOURNMENT:

Ron moved to adjourn. Katie seconded.

Motion Passed.

Meeting adjourned at 7:30 P.M.

 

Respectfully submitted by Jack Malloy, P/SFR Secretary

Download 2017 May 3 Meeting Notes

One thought on “Board of Directors Meeting May 2017

Leave a Reply